Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Lucky Ones

It was about 11 months ago that we were last together.  Leaving a celebration for two of our own, not really sure where or when all of us would next come together.  Young and uncertain and all a little scared that things may never be the same.

After spending four years almost constantly together, the idea that we may fall apart was a non-option in our eyes.  So we committed to getting together once a year.  No matter what life brought our way we knew had to make the effort, so plans were made for year one.  For those that could make it, a house was booked on Kiawah Island for a long weekend.  

Groups of 3 or 4 had seen each other at football games or other events but this many of us hadn't been together in almost a year.  We aren't a high maintenance group - we need a table big enough for board games, plenty of beer, and a tv in case Auburn has a sporting event. 

I could continue and write about the wonderful meals, delicious beer and mimosas, many hours of board games, funny sunburn shapes, or screaming at the tv during the Women's College World Series.  But all that really needs to be said is we got lucky and continue to be lucky. Lucky that some of us met at orientation getting lemonade, lucky that others met in that old house on Samford Avenue, and really lucky that we all have an affinity for games of any kind.  Lucky that a group of people who come from all over the country formed the dysfunctional yet beautiful Fam Jam. 

I just finished unpacking my bags, my house is now covered in sand, and my heart is full. Full of love and laughter that only comes from time with my Fam Jam.  Full enough to last until next year and carry me on the days when work isn't so great or no one around me knows how to play Nerts.  And until then, I carry them in my heart and smile because they're kicking butt and making me a proud mama bear. 



Only took us two tries!

3 comments:

  1. Love this! My dear little sister you are truly blessed to have such a wonderful group of friends and to have met all the friends you have. Cherish them and these days!

    ReplyDelete