Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Porcupine Mountains August 2018


For a Florida girl still adjusting to northern Michigan winters, booking an August camping trip at the end of March was a mental health move more than anything. We were past the fun parts of winter and eager for spring to arrive so I was putting all the fun summer plans I could into my trusty planner. Visiting the Porcupine Mountains (or the Porkies) was an early addition to my ever-evolving Michigan bucket list so I was excited to snag a spot for late August.

Lake of the Clouds is the Disney feeling spot in the Porkies, most drive up and take their picture then leave. At the halfway point of my big mileage day, felt pretty strong for working for this picture.

It just so happened that after booking that weekend I committed to a 21 mile hike to benefit Make-A-Wish and would spent the large part of my summer training for that hike. The weekend I had planned for the Porkies was the last large training hike on our schedule which worked out perfectly. I penciled in a long weekend on my work calendar and started mapping out hikes and spots I wanted to make sure to check out.

Swim spot at the Presque Isle Campground, late August is about as warm at Lake Superior gets!

From Gaylord, the Porkies are a 6 hour drive so I decided to find a spot to camp Thursday after work at a halfway point. We have great state forest campgrounds in Michigan and this one was one of the prettiest I've come across! Forest Lake State Forest Campground is a first come, first serve with most spots lakefront and a mix of tent and RV spots. I don't wake up early often but set a special alarm to catch the sunrise.

Views from my camp chair Thursday night.

Slow breakfast and a meandering drive took up most of the day Friday. Thanks to our extra long summer days, I arrived to the somewhat soggy Porkies with time for camp setup at the Presque Isle Campground on the western end of the park and a hike. (Note for planning: it's another 40 minute drive from the main visitor center to this spot and in central time zone.) I'd chosen the spot based on pictures and oh man, it was a perfect Lake Superior view. Before a picnic dinner and pre-sunset reading, I did a short but very slippery hike along the Presque Isle River (East and West River Trails on this map).


Presque Isle River from a suspension bridge.
View from my camp chair Friday and Saturday nights.
Saturday was my big mileage day. All in all, ended up with 17.5 miles and 98 floors climbed that day (parked at Summit Peak Scenic Area and followed this trail order, Beaver Creek-north on Little Carp River-Correction Line-Big Carp River-North Mirror Lake-South Mirror Lake-Summit Peak Side). The real kicker though was the views. The Porkies are a designated wilderness area and the extent of uninterrupted forest views from the peaks were unlike anything I'd ever seen. I ran into some friends on the trail, we knew we were all up there but hadn't made any plans, gotta love the small world even in the wilderness! After a cold swim in Lake Superior, I met up with them to enjoy a campfire and brews.

Summit Peak Tower, the switchbacks on the trail up to this about got me at the end of a long hike but well worth it.

Sunday was a long travel day with an extra long lunch break in Marquette at the Delft Bistro, very cool vibe and good but slightly pricey food. I took my time getting back with a couple stops along Lake Superior because it was such a gorgeous day and the cold water felt good on my feet. Highly recommend a visit to the Porkies!

Picture perfect Lake Superior day, Au Train area. 



No comments:

Post a Comment